It has been a few weeks since starting my experiments in fermentation. There were some successes, and some almost successes, but no real failures yet.
The sourdough starter is definitely sour, so a lactobacillus colony has likely taken hold, though its somewhat less apparent whether or not the yeast has done the same. The leavening ability of the starter seems lackluster, though that may just be because I’m baking with 100% whole wheat. It has worked out great for pancakes, though.
The carrot ginger slaw ended up being pretty tasty. I’ve used it as a condiment on top a few different rice and lentil dishes, where it has added a nice contrasting element of acidity and crunch with the pleasant flavor kick of ginger. It has been in the fridge for a while now, where it’s starting to develop a bit of a slimy texture. I don’t know if that’s normal or not.
The kombucha is still a bit of a question mark. There’s definitely something growing on the surface, but it remains to be seen whether it’s actually a SCOBY or some kind of mutant fungus. I’m going to give this one a little while longer just to see what happens, but I’m also prepared to count it a loss, as I’ve since realized that the carboy is not an ideal vessel for kombucha, since it will difficult to remove the SCOBY intact once it’s fully developed.
All in all, I’m happy with these results. The sourdough starter has made a nice place for itself in our daily routine and weekly menus. I’d like to apply what I’ve learned with the carrots to other vegetables in the future. And I haven’t given up hope on the kombucha, though I may ultimately have to acquire a SCOBY elsewhere to actually produce a drinkable product.